Member of Families in Global Transition



To order book- Click Parents on the Move! at Amazon.com

Coming Soon: You will be able to order Parents on the Move through Families in Global Transition (www.figt.org)



Contact Kathleen@parentsonthemove.com




Thursday 2 June 2011

Relocation Support Team Final

Single friends of mine, going on overseas work assignments, whether for corporate, missionary, or for non-governmental agencies (such as my stint in the Peace Corps) have often talked of needing, "a wife," and as I wrote in my book "Parents on the Move!" they "are not talking about getting married.

For me, when I was single, this might have included a cook (this meant ready-cooked meals when I had no time to cook), a laundry (thank you for all the services in the world where you can drop off dirty clothes and collect or have delivered at the end of the day!), and a house cleaner (blessings to all who have ever helped with keeping the home front sane)."

Today's blog is the final installment on developing your own Relocation Support Team list.

Number 8
I suggest that the eigth person on your list is someone to assist you with "Time Off." Before you say, "wait a minute, I haven't even started working yet and you are talking about time off?" The time off I am talking about here is more about building margins into what can be a crazily hectic life when you move from one country to another. Support Team Number Eight on one of my previous client's lists (and I must say I have adopted for myself especially when I carry my own luggage) is a message therapist!
My client said she "would travel anywhere if her husband promises this recovery therapy."
For others, Number 8 on your list is someone who can show you the golf course, but for all of us we need to find a way to build a Sabbath-once-a- week rest. We were made to need this rest. The person who can help you meet this need is important.

Number 9
Though you can list your support team in any order, parents with children that have special needs often need someone on their support team to help with food issues. You need real and honest information when it comes to finding food to avoid nut allergies or provide gluten free items at a reasonable cost. Families without these issues still need assistance when it comes to healthy food choices in a new location.

Number 10
Number Ten on your list is to leave room for "Other." As you go through the list and look at the advice you have received on developing your own support team, you will see that there is always room for someone unique to your own needs. Take time to pray, asking God if there is someone else you should add to this list and then wait to hear what He has to say. Pray for divine appointments; those times when someone crosses your path, and you just know God is providing an answer to prayer.

I pray that all who are reading this blog as part of their preparation to move across town or across the world as part of what Jesus Christ is asking them to do, that you will go in peace to love and serve the Lord.

Philippians 4:6-7 (NIV) Do not be anxious about anything, but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which passes understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Remember- relocation is a team sport!

No comments:

Post a Comment